Today marks the 30th anniversary of Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back which for many, many years was my favourite film of the saga. That changed last year though to Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope following my visit to some of the filming locations used in that movie. The battle scenes of Hoth in Empire were filmed in Finse in Norway and even though I have the guidebook I can’t really see myself going to the trouble to just see a bit of ice but never say never I guess!
Anyway, I recently made (thanks to a link on the official Star Wars website) a rather rushed one minute Empire parody video featuring me as both Luke Sywalker and Han Solo with m’lady as Princess Leia which can be seen here. Check it out! It’s funny even if I do say so myself!
I remember being stunned to discover that Vader was Luke’s father which is a classic movie moment and one that is difficult for the younger generation of Star Wars fans to discover the way I did. Empire is great for the following reasons:
* The “I am your father” revelation
* John Williams’ foreboding “Imperial March” music
* The introduction of Yoda, Lando Calrissian and Boba Fett
* Han Solo uses a lighsaber for the only time
* The gigantic AT-AT’s (All terrain armoured transports)
* Han Solo gets heroically frozen in carbonite
* Darth Vader slices off Luke Skywalkers hand
* We see Vader briefly appear out of his helmet in a meditation chamber
* Lando trying to use his charm on Princess Leah
* erm , that incestuous kiss between Luke and Leia!