Cycling may be something that I love to do but I’m not really one who goes for a ride without some kind of aim whether it be to a restaurant, a sight or just my workplace. With that in mind, and desperate to get out on my new bike, I decided to cycle round ALL the Inari Shrines in Tokyo taking each of the 23 wards one at a time.
Inspired by recent interest in tiny shrines, this idea seemed like a good way of hunting them down in a slightly more orderly fashion. This really is not so much about the actual Inari Shrines but just getting out on my bike and having a means to an end. Please note that there are many more Inari Shrines (as well as other shrines) than what’s listed below but these were all the ones registered on Google Maps. The times in brackets next to the name of the shrines note the (approximate) time of day I was at each place.
Starting Point: Tokyo Fox Global Operations Centre, Itabashi-ku (10:28)
1. Taiei Inari Shrine @ 1-2 Shinkawa (11:27)
2. Torii Inari Shrine @ 20-2 Nihonbashikabutocho (11:34)
3. Hibiya Inari Shrine @ 3-28-15 Hatchobori (11:38)
4. Teppozu Inari Shrine @ 1-6-7 Minato (11:41)
5. Inari Shrine @ 3-18-22 Minato (11:45)
6. Shintomi Inari Shrine @ 2-9-5 Shintomi (11:50)
7. Hoju Inari Shrine @ 3-14-15 Ginza (11:54)
8. Kabuki Inari Shrine @ 4-12 Ginza (11:56)
9. Toyoiwa Inari Shrine @ 7-8 Ginza (12:14)
10. Hodo Inari Shrine @ 4-3-14 Ginza (12:37)
11. Asahi-Inari Shrine @ 3-8-12 Ginza (12:47)
12. Saiwai Inari Shrine @ 1-5 Ginza (12:58)
13. Fushimi Inari Shrine @ 2-11-5 Yaesu (13:01)
Date: Friday 13th November 2020
Area: 10.15 km2
Distance: 36.13 km
Time: 2.40 hrs
Calories Burned: 1073
Top: Leicester City 2018-19 white away shirt
Notes: Perhaps one of the most clustered wards regarding Inari Shrines. It took a while to get to the first one but they came thick and fast after that. One of them was on top of a shopping mall and temporarily closed so I was unable to see it. Kakugo Inari Shrine was the most interesting for me as it was hidden away down an alleyway.
Fox Rating: 6/10
Nearby Sights: Ginza, Tsukiji Hongan-ji, Nakagin Capsule Tower, Hamarikyu Gardens, Kabuki-za.
Click on the following links for other posts from the ‘Foxed In The Head’ Series…
Click here to read `TF Top 10……Smallest Inari Shrines In Tokyo (Part 1)
Click here to read ‘TF Top 10……Tokyo Themed Cycling Rides’